Thursday, February 03, 2011

Remorseful Tramp Installation

Often times the hardest artistic work to create, is the work that comes without boundaries. When given a project to complete with open-ended possibilities, the task can be very daunting. These are the projects that I am most intimidated by. I find them to be even more challenging that a project with strict guidelines. Perhaps though, they are the best projects for us as artists to be involved in when we are just beginning because they force us to scrutinize our processes the most.


For the Spring 2011 Charette, our topic was “Rogue.” As I have never had much interaction with the word rogue, research was a huge part of preparing my part. Even after my research however, I still felt unprepared. I was very nervous to participate in a project with such a large audience and open possibilities. I expected failure from the start, which is something I have never felt in past work I have created. It was quite scary.

The day of the Charette, I came into the building well before time to set up. I quietly put up my project and then left the building. When I came back just before the Charette was to begin, I actually tried to pretend I was just an onlooker. I walked around to see the other work. I took a few pictures of my own, and then I sat at a distance to observe.

Maybe it was the expectations of failure, or maybe it was the fact that I feel like a stranger to this city, let alone my classmates still, but I was certain that I had not done my best work. In comparison to other projects, I felt that my own was small and insignificant. I felt that it was uninteresting and did not demand as much attention as many of the other projects did. My project was not a loud and rambunctious game of duck-duck-goose, nor was it a hands-on project for the audience to participate in, nor a homeless girl pushing her shopping cart, or huge letters on the floor with yarn extending to the rafter. Instead, it was a simple grouping beneath the staircase hanging quietly by its self. I felt defeated.

Later, reflecting upon the experience, my mind began to change. After all, what is rogue? Maybe my piece was rogue indeed. Not only did the artwork define rogue, but also it acted rogue through its placement and its way of standing alone and by itself. I determined that actually, my rogue work was successful. I decided that in all actuality, this was one of my best pieces of work. It was a learning experience; it was a lesson in pride and self-achievement.

My installation hanging out beneath the main staircase...being Rogue!

Entitled "Remorseful Tramp"

A little closer view - notice her chains

Mr. Curious

Mr. Shock

Mr. Pleased

Mr. Disappointed

Remorseful Tramp herself.

Closeup up her facial features and the wire hands covering her face
-but she can't hide from what she has done....she is transparent-
you can see right through her
Loves!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am delighted that you are taking the time to give your feedback! I do try to send you back a message, but please do not be sad if I do not get to it for a few days. Thank you for your support!